[mythtv] epg appearing behind video overlay?

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 17:38:23 -0500

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 05:15:46PM -0500, Shawn Pearce wrote:

> I'll try setting up twm or something.  What I really need then is a very
> bare window manager (no decorations?)...  very lightweight, almost no CPU
> overhead.  This box is my mythical convergence box, it don't need no
> stinking window manager...

mythtv does open multiple windows, so it really does need a window manager,
albeit a basic one.  After experimenting with some of the pda-oriented
window managers like matchbox and ion, I settled on good old fvwm, using
this config:

Style myth* CascadePlacement, NoTitle, BorderWidth 0, HandleWidth 0

> So by EPG management, I really meant that I want to put nearly all of the
> GUI on a secondary system/videocard from the main player and recorder
> system(s).  This would include the EPG, main menu(s), recorded program
> guide, etc.  I might consider leaving OSD's to be OSDs, but ideally I'd
> like to have those on the secondary display as well, as that's what I have
> now (and I really like it).

For the EPG, this is a no-op (just run mythepg on the other system).
Viewing recorded programs should be straightforward to implement in the same
way, just sharing the database.

For the main menu, I imagine the easiest way would be to run it on the set
top box, but have it connect to a remote X display over the network.  You
would need to modify it so that the Xv window is displayed locally, of
course.

--
 - mdz