[mythtv] codec that deals best with badly synced video

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:59:34 -0800

>From a discussion on the mjpeg list it was mentioned that vcr's typically
have horrible video sync which will usually give encoders a fit, resulting in
high cpu usage and/or a/v sync problems or dropouts.

I suspect this is what is happening when I watch tv taped on vhs through
mythtv.  I am using the default rtpeg and am wondering if I would get
better/worse results by using mpeg4?

The problem I experience is that every 20-30 seconds or so I get an audio
dropout and a video hiccup and then a second or two later the 2 get in sync
again.

This only seems to happen when watching with a vcr input.  The digital cable
works without issue and the tv tuner seems to work pretty reliably.
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting