[mythtv] New user experiences and questions

Andrew Dodd mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 18:50:12 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Shawn Pearce wrote:

> Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu> wrote:
> > > Last, the database of recorded shows should be updated at the BEGINNING of
> > > a recording, not at the end.  If the machine crashes or loses power before
> > > recording finishes, MythTV forgets that it ever recorded the show and the
> > > MPEG file containing it becomes orphaned.  Passing the filename as a
> > > commandline argument to mythtv doesn't play it.  (Related question:  How
> > > to I play recorded files that aren't in the database?)
> >
> > I have it updating at the end because I don't want partial recordings in my
> > database, and I don't want things showing up in the UI before they've
> > finished recording.  It'd be a simple matter to write up a little wrapper
> > program like the 'mythv' program to play single files, but I've never spent
> > the time to do it.
>
> ReplayTV will put the program into the menu as soon as it starts
> to record.  This allows the user to watch it while the recording is
> already in progresss.  And is very sweet, IMHO.

This is the way I first discovered the limitation - I set it to autorecord
Law and Order last night as a test, and wanted to start viewing the
episode at around 10:30 while it was still recording, and found out this
was not possible.  :(

I'll do some more work on figuring out why hardcoding my input isn't
working - MythTV has no problem switching to the input after the fact.

I've been debating whether to get a Firewire HD for use with both this
machine and my laptop, now MythTV is pushing me a lot closer to getting
it.  To the developers - Thanks sooo much for burning a hole in my pocket.  :)

Interesting question - I know MythTV can use remote DB connections - Is
there any reliable way to configure MySQL to put certain tables on a
particular part of the filesystem?  i.e. put anything MythTV related on
the Firewire HD, and have my laptop seamlessly read the DB when I plug the
HD into my laptop?