[mythtv] mythtv cvs trouble?

John Coiner jcoiner@stanfordalumni.org
Mon, 08 Jul 2002 20:53:08 -0400

Isaac,

I'm having trouble checking out from CVS. I waited a few minutes, and
the same thing happened again. The error message is below.

On my machine, the recorder skips a frame every so often (once per 10
seconds?) and as a result the output has to pause for prebuffer
occasionally. Have you noticed this? You'd know, the prebuffering is
really annoying. This is the next thing I'm going to work on.

First, the player should deal with a missing frame more gracefully. The
nuppel video stream has frame numbers, which skip ahead if the recorder
skips frames. I think the player currently ignores the frame number. I
plan to have the player handle a sudden frame number jump by leaving the
old frame visible during the time that would have been allocated to the
missing frames. This will avoid the prebuffering, and better maintain
a/v sync.

Secondly, it would be nice if the recorder didn't skip frames as often.
I'll investigate the cause. This is the second thing to look at, b/c the
recorder has to be skipping frames in order to test that the player
handles them properly.

-- john

The cvs error message:

john@lurk:~/mc/MC$ cvs -z3 update -dA
john@ijr.dnsalias.org's password:
? epg/moc_guidegrid.cpp
? epg/moc_infodialog.cpp
? epg/mythepg
? tv/mythtv
? tv/libNuppelVideo/nuppelvideo-config
cvs server: Updating .
cvs server: Updating configfiles
cvs server: Updating dialog
cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/var/lib/cvs/MC/dialog'
(/var/lib/cvs/MC/dialog/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/var/lib/cvs/MC/dialog'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

I also tried checking out MC to a fresh directory, instead of updating
my existing directory, which made no difference.