[mythtv] hardware questions

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:56:33 -0700

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:39:05AM -0600, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
> I've decided to give up on getting my WinTV GO to have good sound
> quality, so now I'm looking at buying other hardware.
>
> It seems that a lot of people are using the Matrox G200-TV. Has Anyone
> had any luck getting btaudio to work with it?

It's not going to work.  The only way to get audio out of that card is via
the line-in of your sound card.

> Has anyone tested the
> S/PDIF output? This seems like the perfect card for Myth (hardware
> MJPEG, cheap, stereo, etc). Are there any reasons to go with something
> else that I'm overlooking? What drawbacks are there to using MJPEG
> (quality, file size, ????)

The file sizes are definately going to be larger than mpeg4 at similar
resolutions but the quality seems pretty darn good.  You also need a
reasonably hefty cpu to decode full resolution mjpeg in real time (although
there may be some optomizations to be done with the decoding sw).  TV-Out
was a pain to set up but I'm reasonably happy with it now.

--
Ray