[mythtv] Auto Upgrade feature?

Mike Payson mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:44:07 -0800

On Sunday 29 December 2002 10:36 am, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 11:11:51AM -0600, Nathan Ziarek wrote:
> > As this thing contiunes to evolve, I hesitate to attach it solely to a
> > TV as I want some of the latest and greatest features.
> >
> > I was thinking, perhaps after 1 is hit, it might be cool to have Myth
> > check for an upgraded version and understand how to automatically
> > upgrade itself (or an upgrade option if you don't want to risk it). I
> > have no idea of the complexity of this, but it is something TiVo (I'm
> > pretty sure) has, and something that might make sense for bug fixes etc.
> >
> > Anyway, just an idea for future projects. I think it'd make it a more
> > "polished" program. If I'm stuck with a working .7 for the rest of my
> > days, though, I think I can manage. When it is running, it is damn cool.
>
> This is what distribution packages are for.  You can do smooth upgrades
> already with Debian packages and apt.

Apt can do this, but it would be a really nice feature for less technical
users. Probably shouldn't be a high priority feature, but I think this would
be a great feature down the road once the project reaches the point where
you'd be comfortable giving one to your grandma.

--
Mike Payson  |  DawgDayz Dog Walking & Pet Sitting
(206) 280-7295 | www.dawgdayz.com | mpayson@dawgdayz.com