[mythtv] Is there a way to string together different hard drives for storage in MyThTV?

Rick Warner mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:20:00 -0500

On Sunday 29 December 2002 12:54 pm, Chris wrote:
A raid solution should be very eay to set up.  You'll probably want to use
linear(append) mode for the raid unless the 2 drives are roughly equal in
size (you'd then use raid 0).  If you have 3 or more drives, you can use a
variety of modes.. for disks that vary greatly in size, you'll still want to
use the append mode.  If they're the same size(or close), you can either just
stripe them with raid 0 and have "3 x smallest piece" of storage space, or
use raid 5 and have "(3 - 1) x smallest piece" storage (for more than 3
drives, raid 5 follows (N -1)xsmallest where N is total # of drives). With
raid 5, your data can survive any ONE disk failing at a time.  The drive can
then be replaced and rebulit.

For details on how to do any of these solutions, feel free to post back.