[mythtv] CVS Newbie (I can spell this time)

Mr. Adam ALLEN mythtv-dev@snowman.net
29 Dec 2002 14:16:12 +0000

--=-rM+nNCe7D+E2L1GtuXDu

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 04:17, Bryce C wrote:
> Hi, I'd really like to try out the CVS version of MythTV but I'm not
> familiar with CVS.  Can someone please give me an example command(s) to
> checkout the whole tree? (MC, mythweb, mythgallery, etc).
>=20
> Bryce C.

Firstly a quote from Matt
"0.7 is a release, and there is a fundamental difference between using
released code and using whatever happens to be in the CVS repository
today.
Basically, the code in CVS will undergo constant change, and when it is
decided that it is time for a release, things are cleaned up and
packaged so
that it is ready to run.  This is a very common approach to software
development, and is not at all specific to this project.

"bugs" that people report in unreleased software usually fall into these
categories:

- Real bugs.  These are usually welcome, especially when the problem is
not
  known to the developers, and enough analysis is provided so that the
bug
  can be found and fixed

- Things which are temporarily broken due to the implementation of a new
  feature, or other restructuring.  There is no point in complaining
about
  these unless you are following development closely enough to know what
is
  expected to work and what is not.

- Things which prevent people from using the program "out of the box".
  There is no point in complaining about these unless you provide a
patch,
  since this sort of thing is not worth bothering with until release
time

- Features which simply aren't implemented yet.  "It would be nice
if..."
  This applies equally to release software.  Open source developers will
  generally work on what interests them, and asking them to implement
  your pet feature is counter-productive."

As for the commands...
$ mkdir mythtv
$ cd mythtv
$ cvs -d :pserver:mythtv@cvs.mythtv.org:/var/lib/cvs login