[mythtv] Possible bug from "setup" using tv_grab_uk

Mr. Adam ALLEN mythtv-dev@snowman.net
29 Dec 2002 01:44:44 +0000

--=-gCcW3nZRTnPgvakF0JEF

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 00:23, Matt Zimmerman or Matt Burnham wrote:
> > > For any other grabbers which have equivalents to=20
> > > --list-providers and --list-channels, it is possible to make=20
> > > a GUI configuration.  For anything else, the user must run=20
> > > tv_grab_XX --configure manually.  Note that the UI does not=20
> > > do this for you.
> >=20
> > I'm tempted to have a go at getting tv_grab_uk to work under the GUI,
> > but I'll see how easy it is :)
>=20
> Looking at the script, it will probably be some work.  Note that I am
> definitely opposed to having mythtv mess with the xmltv config file at al=
l.
> Look at the way that tv_grab_na does it, and make tv_grab_uk do that, and=
 it
> should be straightforward to add support to mythtv's setup.

I've had a look through the tv_grab_na and tv_grab_uk code.

Is what you are saying that you would like tv_grab_uk to respond to
something like:

--config-file /home/allena28/.mythtv/test.xmltv --configure
--retry-limit 2 --retry-delay 30 --postalcode 02111 --list-providers

and then return a list of providers. That's the only obvious approach to
me (apart from making sub-GUI's in MythTV - which been C++ scares me
away from doing any work ;-) ). And likewise for the next steps of the
GUI (which I haven't got around to looking at yet).

=46rom what I understand looking around the ZAP2IT site, it returns the
channels available along with the channel number. Whereas the UK script
doesn't put channel numbers in with the channels; and is probably the
reason why uk requires --manual.

A bit of research could find out the correct numbers, it's not too
complex over in the UK, taking into account variations between Analog /
Digital Tv there can't be more than 10 providers across the country).
This issues is broader than MythTV and is one that would improve XMLTV.

This approach has the advantage of making MythTV use the same GUI
layout, same code, and less places for bugs to creep in. The
disadvantage:- the fact that it's a hack on XMLTV, unless any changes
could get incorporated upstream. I guess, trying to look at this as a
newbie, is it better to switch to the terminal to do the channel config
manually (and have to enter channel number themselves), or have to use a
forked tv_grab_uk to do the channel config in the MythTV GUI?

Anyway, I'll leave this for your thoughts and direction.=20

--=20
Regards,
Adam Allen.

adam@dynamicinteraction.co.uk