[mythtv] Start using Mythtv/cvs

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 12:59:53 -0500

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:47:54AM -0500, Lego Andy wrote:

> 1. Out of source build does not work. You have to build Mythtv in the
> directory that contains source code. This is just a small annoyance,
> but can be fixed by using some different build tool.

Not likely to happen.

> 2. Database got a bit messed up and so I had to do some hacking of
> mc.sql in order to get it to work fine.

"messed up"?  If you mean some things were missing, you need to run
0-7-to-0-8.sql.

> 6. When selecting "Watch TV", the backend segfaults. Looking through
> settings (again, looking professional), I found a whole bunch of
> hardcoded paths pointing to /mnt/something and since I do not have
> that directory, myth crashed. After fixing this, I can watch tv.

These are not hardcoded; they are configuration options and they are meant
to be changed.  In fact, currently, nothing will work until you have entered
these screens and accepted the settings.

> 7. TV is choppy and sound is interrupting. Looking through settings, I
> found that it is doing mp3 encoding, so I disabled it. Now I can watch tv.
> I am recording a show as we speak.

You can try increasing the 'quality' slider for mp3 (higher means lower
quality); it should use less CPU that way and save a lot of space.

> 1. All text entry widgets are acting strange. When inserting text,
> cursor is jumping to the end of the text. So, for example if you type
> "foo bar", then try to insert "and" between, you will have to do
> something like this: go to end of foo, insert 'a', cursor jumps to the
> end, go back, insert 'n', cursor jumps to the end... This can be a bit
> annoying. So, I deleted text and write it from scratch. That works fine.

This was a bug, fixed in CVS now.

> 2. Spinboxes do not seem to allow text entry. Slightly annoying, but
> not a show stopper.

This is intentional, because text entry in spinboxes does not provide the
interface that the settings UI needs.  There may be some way to work around
it; patches welcome.

> 3. On the output of mythbackend, I see the following messages:
> "strange error flushing buffer ..." Is that something serious?

In the top level of the source tree is a file named FAQ.

> 1. Better management of recorded shows. Hierarchical organization with
> folders would be great. That way, I could let say have all episodes of
> one show together.
>
> 2. Importing of videos to the TV would be also great, as I can get
> some shows from DVD-s and similar sources.

Patches welcome.

--
 - mdz