[mythtv] Initial install...

Matt Zimmerman mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:10:07 -0500

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 04:27:32PM -0800, Kent Loobey wrote:

> On Sunday 22 December 2002 01:13 pm, you wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 12:59:40PM -0800, Kent Loobey wrote:
> > > After a couple of false starts I finally got to the following
> > > messages:
> >
> > What false starts?  Did you forget to follow the instructions in the
> > Prerequisites section?
>
> I read the Prerequisites section many times and then *very* carefully did
> each step.  However, Linux folk always brag about, unlike Windows, the
> fact that they don't need to reboot during installs.  So I didn't.  So
> when I got to the step of installing mythtv it didn't find that MySQL was
> running.

The MySQL server is started immediately after installation.  If this did not
happen, then something is wrong somewhere.  There is no need to reboot at
any point in this process.

> I suppose most users know what they are doing.  In this case I have never
> used MySQL before and have never used the DEBCONF_PRIORITY feature of
> apt_get.

Apparetly, you had enough experience with MySQL to change the root password,
which is why the defaults didn't work for mythtv. :-)

When you first installed your system, it asked you for a minimum priority
for installation questions, and apparently you answered something higher
than 'medium' which is the priority of the mysql password question, so it
was skipped and the default used.

In the next release, it will always ask for the MySQL password, but display
a big note saying that unless it has been changed, it is empty.  Hopefully
this will be easier for everyone.

But, if you want more control over this sort of thing, you should lower your
default priority with 'dpkg-reconfigure debconf'.

--
 - mdz