[mythtv] Low Profile PCI Cards

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:20:58 -0500

Heh, in 2006/2007, that machine won't be able to do squat.  :)

Seriously though, the machine can *just* handle 640x480 streams in its
current configuration.  An HDTV card would be pumping much higher
resolutions and I'm sure by then it would just make more sense cost-wise
to simply buy a new box.

Also, this box is really intended for people who like to play around
with hardware/software.  MythTV isn't really *for consumers* quite yet,
and I'd be hard pressed to find someone willing to buy a box like mine
*just* for MythTV use.  If you do know anyone like that, please send
them my e-mail address.  :)

The only real value proposition I can offer at the moment is that you
can also use the machine for music, gaming, serving, etc.  Otherwise, it
is a bit costly considering the immaturity of its "core competency".  I
know if I handed one of these machines to my parents to try and use
right now, it'd be hucked out the window within a day.  :)

In the meantime, my boxes are simply directed at the people out there
who love to tinker, and want a one-stop shop for stuff to satisfy their
desire to help out.  I know it's a pain in the ass to shop stuff out
online, and when you go part-for-part, you get hosed in shipping (and in
my case up in Canada, border duties).  I'm just trying to help people
out and try to pass my dealer-savings off to them.  I am really not
making much money off each machine in the end.  In fact, I'd have to
probably sell 16 of them to buy myself one.  :)

Now, after I start working on some stuff to help out with the
setup/installation process, I hope that the device can be pushed more
towards a consumer device, but even then it'll be a tough sell until it
can run on much cheaper hardware...

Just my CDN$0.02...

Cheers,
Chris