[mythtv] Low Profile PCI Cards

Charles Choukalos mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 07:43:10 -0800 (PST)

Chris,

I've checked out your sight... and definately liked
the way you linked up the components to build a neat
mythtv box.  However, I do have a point I'd like to
throw out there.  The case you picked out only accepts
low profile PCI cards.  In 2006/2007 (when ever they
really do make the switch)... we're going to be in HD
TV land.  Hum, wouldn't it be nice to have a system
where you can slap in an HDTV tunner card and go?
Perhaps I'm missing the boat here... but I think the
PCI bus should be able to handle 2 HDTV tunners
streaming to a processor (You probably need a
significantly faster processor to deal with the data
though)...  Wouldn't you want to setup a box that is
relatively easy to upgrade for HDTV?  Or are you
planning this as a consumer device and no one is going
to open the box up at all?

-Chuck