[mythtv] Will the wife like it?

John S Flowers mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:42:25 -0600

I don't live in Portland or anywhere near there. ;)

I'm a little nervous about you building a MythTV system for your wife.
It really depends on how forgiving she is and how long she's willing to
wait for certain functionality. It also depends on how technical she
is... a custom PVR can be a little sketchy at times.

Also, the amount of effort required to get a remote working is pretty
severe. Sure, you can make a remote work almost "out of the box" with
lircd or ati_remote from the Gatos project, but getting the buttons
configured in a way that makes sense is an undertaking.

I recently built a PVR (using MythTV) for a friend of mine and his wife
for the holidays. His wife is not technical at all. She even asked,
after I walked them both through how the system works, "So, there are
no tapes?"

I will say that I am completely happy with my own system (and so is my
wife) and we couldn't imagine using a TiVo after getting the MythTV
working. The ReplayTV on the other hand still sits in our bedroom and
happily records "Sex and the City" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

My advice is this: If your wife is already suspicious of the value of a
PVR, get a TiVo or ReplayTV. At least that way you can blame something
not working on the manufacturer and it doesn't rest on your shoulders.
Plus, if she hates it, Best Buy and places like that have a pretty
decent return policy.

Having been married for more than 10 years, that's the best advice I
have.

P.S. I've been meaning to put up a MPEG (or Quicktime) of my system in
action, but haven't had a chance to do it yet. I think that would help
you appreciate the interface and how it works for you.