[mythtv] hardware acceleration

Ray mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:34:14 -0700

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:06:48PM -0800, Peter M Schuh wrote:
> Hi-
>
> Does anyone have any data on how much TV cards with hardware acceleration
> help the CPU?  I just got a Matrox G200-TV and I'm wondering if I can use
> an old celeron 700MHz with it.
>
> I know that some hardware acceleration is in CVS--that's what I'm curious
> about.

With this capture card your limiting factor is going to be playback speed.
If your system can play mjpegs at whatever size you plan to capture in then
you'll be fine.  I use this card and recently switched out dual Celeron 500
box (which worked fine at decimation 2) for a single Duron 650 which also
seems fine at decimation 2.  It doesn't drop any frames but it's a bit
sluggish when doing more than one thing at a time.  Of course it only has
96MB of ram and is operating completely over NFS so those have some impact
as well.

--
Ray