[mythtv] "Strange Error Flushing Buffer" problem

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 23:50:51 -0800

Richard Bowman wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 00:21, Isaac Richards wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 17 December 2002 12:18 am, Richard Bowman wrote:
>>
>>>I'm using a ATI TV Wonder VE I just got because I read it worked well.
>>>You think the VIDIOCSYNC problem is occuring because of my tuner card?
>>>One thing I've noticed is if I don't have my mixer settings set right
>>>(setting capture and line in volume in alsamixer) and I turn them up

...and set line-in to be the capture device (press space)
and mute line-in (press 'm')...

>>>while 'mythtv' is running, this VIDIOSYNC message starts appearing

Try running 'mythfrontend' instead. Wait a few seconds then
select "Watch TV". Does the problem happen during startup
or not until you watch TV?

>>>immediately afterwards. But if I have all the mixer settings right
>>>before starting 'mythtv', it works for a while, I am able to change
>>>channels, but without fail the mentioned lines start exploding onto the
>>>console after about 15-20 seconds.
>>
>>Well, the error's a result of talking to the tuner card driver, so, yeah, it
>>has to be a problem with the driver.  You wouldn't happen to have any weird
>>patches applied to your kernel source, would you?
>>

> No, I don't. I had the stock RedHat 8.0 kernel when I first tried to use
> Myth. I never got a TV display using that kernel, so I upgraded to the
> revised kernel version supplied by RedHat, 2.4.18-18, and am now able to
> at least achieve the results I've mentioned.
>
> I'm using all the precompiled modules. My system is pretty standard. The
> only non-RedHat-supplied modules running are the NVidia ones and VMWare
> modules.
>
> I wish I could tell you more, but I'm pretty new to the V4L stuff.
> Haven't had a TV Tuner in my computer for years, but really wanted to
> give this a shot. Is there any info I could give you from my machine
> that might help??

Hey Richard, could you do me a favor and send the messages
from when the driver is loaded? Look in /var/log/messages
for about 30-40 lines starting with something like:

Dec 16 01:39:21 nordvid kernel: bttv: driver version 0.7.96 loaded

I've seen VIDIOSYNC invalid argument messages on other cards
that didn't fully support v4l but the bttv driver for ATI TV
Wonder VE should work. I agree that this is much more likely
to be the driver or card misbehaving than a problem with myth
per se.

--  bjm