[mythtv] RedHat 8.0 and hardware questions.

m0j0.j0j0 mythtv-dev@snowman.net
16 Dec 2002 14:48:05 -0600

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 14:35, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 02:09:13PM -0600, m0j0.j0j0 wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if I have something messed up on my box. I have Maxtor
> > 7200RPM UDMA IDE 40G and 80G drives. I have a 40G RAID1 partition across
> > the two. hdparm -t /dev/md0 gives me typically about ~25-30 MB/sec reads.
> > I've tested this both using my Promise ATA133 Controller Card and the
> > onboard controllers (System: Asus w/ AMD XP2100, 256MB DDR, WinTV GO).
>
> RAID1 is going to kill write performance, not read.  Especially if you are
> using IDE disks, and especially if both disks are on the same controller.

Both drives are on the same Maxtor/Promise ATA133 card, but on separate
controller interfaces. I actually don't have any part of MythTV (program
or live spool) in the mirrored partition. That all sits in a partition
within the remaining 40G non-mirrored portion of the bigger drive. Based
on this, do you think my software RAID setup would actually have any
performance-slowing affect on Myth?

Is there a way to test write speed with hdparm to specific partitions?
'-t' is a read check only, correct?

Thanks,
Joe