[mythtv] Processor question

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:23:41 +0100

This is a question for the hardware techies.

I know that the P4 interger unit runs at 2x the 'base' clockspeed. Is this
a common factor in Intel/AMD processors?

If so, couldn't you then better divide the MHz value of the VIA Ezra/Eden
processor by 2? The interger unit runs at full speed, the FP at half...
This also matches most of the benchmarks compared to the PII.

btw, these reports about barely playing DivX is mainly due the use of MS
MediaPlayer. When you use another player, and a codec that makes use of MMX
and 3DNow! (like ffdshow) you get a nice performance. Mainstream software
is often slow, my old P100 plays MP3 at 30-40% CPU, only WinAmp gives
hickups)

Still looking for recording/encoding capabilities though.
(Asking guy of eBoxy: http://www.bluelightning.org/ebox/ )

	Henk Poley <><

PS: references (french)
http://www.jackypc.com/index2.php3?rub=articles&num=184