[mythtv] compile/install problems

Cedar McKay mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:37:31 -0800

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 06:51  PM, Brent Norris wrote:

>> get to section 9.2 'running setup' - first off, I'm not sure whether
>> there is supposed to be a /setup directory under
>> /user/local/share/mythtv - the only /setup I can find is in the
>> extracted source directory... when I run the setup there, I get:
>> ./setup: error while loading shared libraries: libmyth-0.7.so.0:
>> cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> That is the setup that it is talking about.  Your problem is that you
> didn't add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig.  Try
> that out and I think it should work for you.
>
>> the compile of myth itself generates lots of warnings, and I'm not
>> sure
>> if they're normal or if the source of the problem. Most of the
>> warnings
>> are the following:
>>
>> cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
>> "/usr/local/include"
>> cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system
>> directory
>
> Yeah I think those are standard, though I am not sure why they are
> generated, but they are for me as well.

I found that for some reason with RH8 adding /usr/local/lib to
/etc/ld.so.config then running ldconfig didn't work for me. I have no
explanation, as my system seems to be running great in other respects.
Anyway, my work around was to manually copy files from the
/usr/local/lib directory to the /usr/lib directory manually. I did this
after the installation of each prerequisite that installed a file
there. For instance after installing lame, I copied the files over
before I went to the next step of the install. Pain, but I don't know
whats going on. Hope that helps.

best,

Cedar