[mythtv] performance

mythtv-dev@snowman.net mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:06:53 -0800

A maxtor 30GB ATA-133 7200 rpm (Maxtor 6E030L0) with VIA IDE (VT82C586B) gives:
(this is a KT-400 motherboard)

happy ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.41 seconds =312.20 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.27 seconds = 50.39 MB/sec

2.4.20 has support for this chipset running at ATA-133 built in.
You can also get kernel patches from VIA to patch older kernels for
ATA-133.  I assume bigger maxtor ATA-133/7200rpm drives have
similar performance.

Chuck Ferring(chuckf@fullplaymedia.com)@2002.12.13 16:44:37 +0000: