[mythtv] Simple player

Henk Poley mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:14:54 +0100

> Van: Chris Liscio <clliscio@uwaterloo.ca>
>
> > Depends on the speed of the drive. 15MB/sec isn't bad. Probably pretty
> > common. If you are getting 30MB/sec, what kind of drive do you have!? I
> > couldn't get anywhere near that that with my 10k RPM IBM ultra wide
SCSI
> > disk.

What you call 'not bad'. My old P100, with newer Fujitsu MPE3064AT (6,3GB)
does half of that...

30MB/sec buffer-cache reads
~7MB/s buffered disk reads

The first number (although 'useless') is pretty wierd anyway, since my
motherboard booklet says "Using HDDs that support bus mastering, the peck
transfer rate can reach 22MB/sec". But that's about PIO3/4, I guess DMA
helps to speedup things when reading from the HD-cache.

> peanut:~/mythtv/MC# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.65 seconds =196.92 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.58 seconds = 40.51 MB/sec
> peanut:~/mythtv/MC#

My new PC gives much the same results.

	Henk Poley <><