[mythtv] Simple player

Harondel J. Sibble mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:34:12 -0800

On 9 Dec 2002 at 11:45, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Then don't use the default mpeg4 settings.  If you have the CPU power to use
> MPEG-4, you should, as it can produce higher quality video using less space.

Okay, recommendations for appropriate settings, I currently have the
following setup:

#
# MPEG4 specific settings
#
# Desired bitrate, in bits/second.  2200 means about a gigabyte an hour.
int TargetBitrate=4400
# Scale bitrate by frame size.  If this is set to 1, the target bitrate given
# above will be used as a guideline for 640x480.  Other resolutions will
scale
# the target bitrate down according to the framesize.
int ScaleBitrate=1
# Maximum quality level.  1 is best, 31 is worst
int MaxQuality=2
# Minimum quality level.  1 is best, 31 is worst
int MinQuality=2
# Maximum quality difference between frames.
int QualDiff=3

The visual quality is both better and worse than the default mpeg4 settings,
and RTjpeg still looks better.  The 2 problems I see now are that the entire
picture is soft, ie there are no sharp edges, everything is clear but kinda
fuzzy like.  Also the frame rate seems lower, like 20-24fps rather than 30.
What would folks recommend to get around these 2 issues?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting