[mythtv] gcc3.2 + mythTV = trouble...

Chris Liscio mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:29:14 -0500

> Not necessarily; it could be anything, including memory
> corruption.  This is
> especially questionable in a threaded program.  You might want to
> investigate this further before making any drastic changes to the system.

I will see what I can dig up once I figure out what the heck doing "urpmi
gcc-2.9" stepped on to make gcc3.2 unhappy.  I think after this is all done
though, I will be migrating to some other distro though...

> Even if you succeed in doing this, you will run into bigger
> problems in the
> end.  The ABI for g++-3.2 is different (and incompatible) with
> that for g++
> 2.9x.  This is a good thing, as it is progress toward standardization in
> this case, but it will be a big headache for this particular transition.
> This means that you cannot link (for example) a library built
> with g++ 2.9x
> with another built using g++ 3.2.  If you want to try 2.9x, you
> will need to
> rebuild _every_ library that myth uses.

Yeah.  Saw this happen.  Ecch.

> And then the bug may turn out to be something else. :-)  I don't see any
> clear reason to preferentially suspect gcc from your description,
> though it
> is a possibility.

> I believe Debian is the only distribution for which there are
> plug-and-play
> mythtv packages.  My bias is obvious, so that's as far as I'll go on the
> distribution question.

>From the docs, it does appear debian has the most representation for mythTV.
Having the ability to be as plug-and-play as possible would be key,
especially to get the installation as easy as possible to reproduce for
anyone I might sell a mythTV box to.

> Just a data point: a base Debian 3.0 installation is ~75M,
> including MythTV
> and all dependent libraries and an X server makes it ~160M.  Running MySQL
> on the same box probably adds another 20M or so.

Definately a selling point.  I'm sure adding apache, php, etc, etc will
fatten that calf up nicely, too.  ;)

The difference between our respective installations might also include mine
having gcc-3.2, too.  ;)

So now back to the diagnosing.  My poor box is very confused right now.  :)

Cheers,
Chris