[mythtv] G400-TV questions

Bruce Markey mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 00:12:52 -0800

Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:
>         What did you guys need to do to get it working (version of
> kernel, XFree86; XF86Config options)?  I have a Radeon 7500 AGP card
> and have not succeeded in getting TV out working yet.  I've tried the
> GATOS drivers with the XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 8.0 but
> mythtv won't run on even the regular VGA display because it can't find
> Xv support.  I've tried a recent CVS build of XFree86 but the GATOS
> drivers aren't compatible with it.

TV out is NOT supported in the main CVS branch. You need
to checkout specifically the "devel" branch for ati.2 .
This branch is out of date so use the released version
of drm-kernel rather than CVS. These were developed for
use with XFree86 4.2.x.

If you can get it to work for now then great but I'm not
convinced ATI is a good choice for TV-out if GATOS isn't
including TV-out in their current development.

> ...I also tried the "atitvout"
> program which apparently uses some BIOS calls to enable TV out but it
> can't detect that the TV is connected.

Keep this handy. For me, whenever I leave X and go to a
text virtual terminal the sync is messed up. I have to
type blind to reset the screen with "atitvout".

--  bjm