[mythtv] MythTV database structure for channels

Stephen Davies mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:47:01 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Isaac Richards wrote:

> Ok, that does seem to cover everything -- my main concern's is going to be the
> end-user setting it all up.  Ideas on that?

Hi Isaac,

This is an issue - people are less comfortable with putting
"configuration" into a database.

The contents of the tables broadcaster, capturecard and cardinputs are
essentially static.

Instead of storing this info into the database we could instead load it
via settings.txt.

All that leaves in the database is one new table - "tuning".  I'd suggest
that a simple program can be provided to load this table for particular
broadcasters.  People can contribute the channel lineups for various
broadcasters such that they can just be loaded in.

There are advantages to keeping the other tables in the database rather
than separately -  all tuning information can be accessed in the "SQL
domain".  But the real practical benefit of that isn't so clear to me
until I try to implement the use of these extra tables.

Steve