[mythtv] Not recording Sound + Some assorted Stability Problems in MythTV v.5

Isaac Richards mythtv-dev@snowman.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:18:31 -0400

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 10:18 pm, Charles Choukalos wrote:
> Issac,
>
> Kudo's on a cool program.  I've finnaly got a version
> working on my media server and am starting to dig into
> it.  However, I'm having some problems.
>
> Media Server -> Dual PIII 600 box, with VIA chipset
> (via on board sound).  I'm using the OSS sound drivers
> too.
>
> Problems:
> 1.  Occasionally mythfrontend pops up over mythtv and
> will not go away!  The screen dump appears the same
> every time... I don't see anything unusual

Never happened to me, but I'll see what I can do to fix it.

> 2.  When I record (Jeesh Lousie... talk about huge
> files with Nupple!), I don't seem to be recording
> sound at all.  Any thoughts?  I didn't have any
> problems building... but I'm wondering if its related
> to point 3.

3rd question in the FAQ should answer this.

> 3.  I get this even in Xawtv...  I don't get sound
> from all of the channels.  Ie:  Channel 12 gets sound,
> but 13 does not?  Huh?  I'm thinking this is more a
> video-4-linux issue with the BTTV driver... but any
> suggestions?

Nope, don't know.

> 4.  And even stranger....  After I shut down Mythtv...
> I still get the last chanel's sound through the
> speakers?!?!?!  I noticed too that when I ESC out of
> mYthtv and just have mythfrontend up while I'm
> recording, I'm getting the sound from the last channel
> that I had mythtv tunned to?  Huh?

Same problem as #2.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chuck
>
> P.S.:  If I get a chance, I might hack some code to
> impliment my "archive" idea.  Ie... have Mythfrontend
> capture in nuppel, then as a niced process after
> convert to divx4/5 and store to another drive, or
> possibly leave on the current drive.  Also handle the
> updating of a possibly seperate mysql db. How scary
> are the interfaces to the above bits of code?

Well, if you look at the config file for 0.5, you'll see that you can record
directly into libavcodec's mpeg4 codec, which is apparently eq. to divx4/5.
I'm going to add an interface to re-compress files eventually.  The files
still won't be playable anywhere else, though, since they'll still be in my
upgraded nuppelvideo file format.

Isaac