[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Hdhomerun recordings fail if internet's down?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Mar 30 00:41:27 UTC 2024

On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 15:37:50 -0400, you wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 29, 2024, 2:00?p.m. Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 5:39?PM Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > We had some internet outages this morning and I noticed my MythTV
>> recordings failed. Any idea why the Homerun needs internet to function if
>> I'm using MythTV? I understand their app needs the net for EPG, but MythTV
>> is self-contained. Sorta defeats using OTA in weather emergencies.
>>
>> The HDHR itself does not, but if your
>> router/gateway goes down (and some
>> will reboot if the Internet is down,
>> especially "combo" devices), and is
>> providing DHCP addresses for your
>> internal network one/more of those
>> internal devices may have lost it's
>> IP address, and you may be depending
>> on having a valid IP address for
>> accessing the device(s) (the HDHR's
>> can also use link-local addressing,
>> but you typically need to perform
>> special configuration on your server
>> to support that).
>>
>> You should be able to look at the
>> HDHR logs (via it's web page) to
>> see what it thought at the time
>> (presuming you have not rebooted
>> the HDHR).
>>

>Thanks for the info. Yes, in my temporary setup I'm unfortunately using the
>ISP's combo router/switch/AP.
>
>Looking at the logs on the HDHomerun, I do see a lot of "network link down"
>messages around the time of the outage.

I hate that people can be so silly designing routers.  The switch part
of a router should never be affected by the WAN being down.  So the
solution here would be to use a separate simple switch with only a
single connection from it to the LAN ports on the router.  Or get a
really good switch that does full VLANs and IGMP and can run multiple
subnets for you if you need that.  I run my network with three
subnets: Inner (which is the main subnet with all the devices that are
trusted), Outer (for guests) and IoT (for all the untrusted devices,
which are not allowed to even talk to each other, let alone the other
subnets).  All three subnets have separate WiFi SSIDs to keep them
separate there also.