[mythtv-users] Running mythcommflag on another PC?

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:25:01 UTC 2024

On Wed, Mar 6, 2024, 6:47 p.m. Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2024, 6:10 p.m. Stephen Worthington <
> stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:31:49 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>> >Sorry... never actually got to using a slave. My temporary setup on
>> >the i7-3720QM wasn't cutting it, so I was just tossing out an idea. The
>> >spiked load was just the Load reading in top. The laptop was still pretty
>> >responsive, but the fan was just howling like a banshee.
>> >
>> >Of course, a laptop isn't the perfect airflow situation, so maybe I
>> should
>> >hold off on commflagging until Im using a better setup. : -)
>> >
>> >I am curious why the real-time test took 15 high load minutes on "looking
>> >for logo" before settling down and flagging at 90+ fps.
>>
>> The only problem there seems to be the "looking for logo" bit.  I do
>> not remember that way back when I last used commercial flagging, so
>> there may be some new method that is being used that is causing your
>> problem.  This may be working as designed, but it could also be a bug.
>> The rest of the flagging is going faster than real time, which is what
>> is expected.  Does the logo problem happen only on specific channels,
>> or is it common to all channels?
>>

> I'll have to do some more tests on different channels and will report
> back.

Set up two recordings, staggered by about 10 minutes.

Both videos spent about 9-10 minutes "building logo detection buffer" with
high CPU% in top. After that, about another 5-10 minutes "looking for
logo." When that finished, CPU% dropped to about 45%. Load started about
3.95 and settled down to about 1.25. It was flagging between 96 to 115 fps.

One recording was ATSC 1, 1080, the other a 480 subchannel.

Has anyone else noticed that many American channels are no longer
superimposing network bugs on the lower right. Nothing. When did that stop?

Also, I'm in mythtv 34. Should I be enabling the "experimental" commercial
detection features?