[mythtv-users] Running mythcommflag on another PC?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Mar 6 23:09:41 UTC 2024

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:31:49 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 6, 2024, 4:16?p.m. Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> What would you guys say is the minimum Intel/AMD generation for real-time
>>> commercial flagging, because this i7-3720QM isn't cutting it.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> I am stabbing in the dark here because I haven not used MythTV in a few
>> years, but real-time commflagging is very efficient (it comm flags as it
>> records).  Your request to have commflagging on a separate machine (slave
>> backend) basically (I think) disables that capability because it relies on
>> the files to be written to disk before the slave actually has access to
>> it.  This would greatly increase IO pressure too.
>>
>> Did you every try the immediate commercial detection setting without the
>> slave?  I had a very old i7 (older than yours) that could comm detect 4
>> ATSC recordings @ once without any load at all (well, not much).
>>
>> When you measure the load, is it in IOWait, or what?
>>

>Sorry... never actually got to using a slave. My temporary setup on
>the i7-3720QM wasn't cutting it, so I was just tossing out an idea. The
>spiked load was just the Load reading in top. The laptop was still pretty
>responsive, but the fan was just howling like a banshee.
>
>Of course, a laptop isn't the perfect airflow situation, so maybe I should
>hold off on commflagging until Im using a better setup. : -)
>
>I am curious why the real-time test took 15 high load minutes on "looking
>for logo" before settling down and flagging at 90+ fps.

The only problem there seems to be the "looking for logo" bit.  I do
not remember that way back when I last used commercial flagging, so
there may be some new method that is being used that is causing your
problem.  This may be working as designed, but it could also be a bug.
The rest of the flagging is going faster than real time, which is what
is expected.  Does the logo problem happen only on specific channels,
or is it common to all channels?