[mythtv-users] Running mythcommflag on another PC?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Mar 2 22:46:04 UTC 2024

On 02/03/2024 18:48, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 2, 2024, 12:09 p.m. Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2024 17:35, Ian Evans wrote:
>>> Just drinking coffee and a random mythtv musing struck me: is it
>>> possible to run mythcommflag on another PC so as not to bog down a PC
>>> doing multiple recordings.
>>>
>>> Say you have your main mythbox with its recording drives, but you
>>> archive older recordings to a NAS with storage directories. And you
>>> have a small computer on your network that does odd jobs like DNS,
>>> Home Assistant, etc. Could you run mythcommflag on just the archived
>>> recordings on that pc at a relaxed pace? :)
>>>
>>> Again, random coffee musing. Maybe the answer is "a X Gen intel/amd
>>> won't break a sweat mythcommflagging dozens of recordings, just limit
>>> the time to overnight."
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Run a slave backend on the other computer. It doesn't need any tuners,
>> but it does need access to the recording drives. You can configure the
>> kinds of jobs it is capable of running, how many of them at the same
>> time etc. If you want commflagging to run only on that other machine
>> then disallow commflagging on the main backend.
>>
>> Thanks. I see that it can be run with a - -file input. So I'm assuming if
> you run it from a script against just the files in the archive storage it
> finds the recording in the database that way? Is there also a way a script
> can detect if a file has already been Flagged? (Barring that, I guess the
> script could always move files from /storagedirunflagged to
> /storagedirflagged.

You wouldn't need to move actual files from one directory to another. All you need do is for your
script to touch a new file somewhere or append a line to a file - that can be easily searched
for/tested and doesn't involve direct database access and also saves large video files being
shuffled around, possibly while myth is trying to record something else!

--

Mike Perkins