[mythtv-users] Upgrading old mythtv

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Sat Jun 29 19:52:41 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 02:55:53PM -0400, faginbagin wrote:

> [ ...snip... ]
>

> I'm guessing the interest in IR blaster is to use the cable company's cable box with your
> HD-PVR. You may find that's no longer possible. I have never had an HD-PVR, but don't
> they depend exclusively on component in? Do you know if your new cable box will support
> component out? If not, there may be no point in spending time on lirc.

The cable box supports component out. In addition, it supports firewire. The current setup
uses an SA 4200 cablebox, also with component out, and also with firewire.

You are 100% correct, I need the IR blaster to change channels because the new cablebox is a
Samsung SMT-C5320. Digging around on the internet tells me that the SMT-C5320 from
Optimum/Altice responds to the same remote controll output as the SA4200 did. I can verify
this by switching remotes. So my guess is that I can find a lirc "driver" to handle changing
the channels. I'm going to try having the current firewire script change channels this
afternoon, if it works then setting up lirc is moot.

-- Chris

--
Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]