[mythtv-users] Mythtv build from source on Fedora 40

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 15:04:22 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 8:52 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised by the different behavior between Fedora 40 and Ubuntu 24.04 with the Build from Source process.  While on F40 you get a warning, everything installs. But on Ubuntu 24.04 the sudo make install fails. You can get around it with the --break-system-packages option in the Makefile in the binding directory or use it as an Environment variable.  F40 must have different rules on this than Ubuntu.
>
> While I would not normally build mythtv from source on Ubuntu since the PPA has all the packaging done for you and it just works, I am trying to understand if Build from Source is out of date or if the automated Ubuntu package builder uses different building instructions.
>
> The break-system-packages override scares me a little, but if it's what the system packagers are doing maybe the Build from Source Wiki needs to include that override??

This is a result of PEP 668 (discussed previously on
one/more of the MythTV threads).  Ubuntu/Debian
"enforces" the requirement that you don't (potentially)
break system packages, and Fedora has decided to
not "enforce" that you don't (potentially) break system
packages.  In either case you can install into a
virtual environment without issue (although virtual
environments have different implications).

If one builds a package (rather than manual
build/install) installing the resulting package into
the system libraries typically works fine (as
the build process and the system expects
packages to install into the system library
space), and as an added (important) benefit,
using packages tends to make it easier to insure
that the resulting environment is properly set up.
I always build/install/remove via packages (but I
also have my own build recipes).  I believe the
mythtv/packaging scripts (in the repo) for
Ubuntu properly support PEP 668 (and others).

If the wiki needs to be updated based on your
experience, please do so.