[mythtv-users] mythtv-backend.service should now be using Type=notify

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Jun 14 05:58:18 UTC 2024

I have just fixed my test PC by getting it a new motherboard (the old
one was failing after a few seconds of running).  So I have been
upgrading it from Xubuntu 22.04 to 24.04, so I can test out 24.04
before I upgrade my main PCs.  It already was running MythTV v34, but
when I was looking at the logs after getting 24.04 working, I saw that
mythtv-status.service was failing at boot time - it was unable to
connect to the mythbackend ports.  It works fine on my main MythTV
box, so I checked the configuration there and found that I had changed
my mythtv-backend.service settings from the default Type (which is not
specified but is Type=simple as there is an ExexStart= line).  I was
using Type=notify, which I had put in several versions of MythTV ago
when mythbackend added systemd support where it does a call to systemd
to notify systemd when mythbackend has fully started up.  So on my
test PC I put Type=notify into the [Service] section of the systemd
override file for mythtv-backend.service, and after that
mythtv-status.service started correctly on boot.

There are probably lots of other things that talk to mythbackend and
will also want to wait for it to be fully up before trying that, so I
think the mythtv-backend.service file in the Ubuntu packages (and the
equivalent in other distros) should now have the Type=notify line as
the default.