[mythtv-users] MythTV Integration for Unfolded Circle Remote Two

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Sun Jun 9 05:47:42 UTC 2024

On Sat, 2024-06-08 at 17:29 +0100, Steve Goodey wrote:

> Can I ask how you're getting on with the RemoteTwo? Reading unfolded community
> posts it seems a bit negative. That might just be happy people not posting of
> course.

I'm pretty happy with it as a replacement for my Harmony Ultimate One.

I got mine in a fairly late batch of the kickstarter shipments and it
took me a while to get round to setting it up so I missed the worst of
the bugs etc which it seems like it had early on.

I managed to get it setup fairly easily with IR control of the TV, amp
and MythTV. With a bit of fiddling I managed to set it up with my
existing Home Assistant instance to switch the amp on and off (it
doesn't do so via remote the remote). The MCE IR codeset I imported to
use with MythTV didn't seem very reliable -- I think it was the codeset
not the signal, since the blaster is tapped right to the receiver and
the TV and Amp seem to work fine. Now that I wrote the integration for
MythTV it's much better and very snappy.

I only use the HASS and now MythTV integrations, so I can't speak to
all the others, Android, Apple, Denon etc.

I'm an experienced sysadmin and developer though, so I didn't find it
too hard. My impression is that there's a decent chunk of complaints in
the forums from people who seem to be non-devs who simply wanted a drop
in replacement for their Harmony (or whatever) setup and it's
definitely a bit more involved than that -- modulo bugs I wouldn't say
harder, just different I guess and more "manual" e.g. you have to
define activity groups for switching between activities to work how it
does on the harmony.

The other big complaints on the forums these days seem to be people who
have been on the wait list for 2+ years with no feedback.
https://unfolded.community/t/does-anyone-have-an-idea-of-how-long-it-s-taking/1648/13
seems like they might be about to address that so if you are interested
in getting one now might be a good time to jump in...

Cheers & HTH,
Ian.