[mythtv-users] Access new web app outside home network

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Jun 5 13:03:45 UTC 2024

On 04/06/2024 22:43, Kevin Johnson wrote:
> Just upgraded to V34.
> I can find guides and info on how to gain access to the old mythweb.
> Not finding much with regards to the new web app.
> I can still access old mythweb from outside my home network.
> Access denied when trying to access the new web app.
>
> http://backend:6544/ <http://backend:6544/>  Works fine from home.
>
> I probably have to do something with Apache?
> Appreciate any help.

I've just had to solve this very same problem. Arranging for Apache to
redirect it is an option - giving you access from outside with
authentication via https, while the internal access remains via http.

The main config change was to add /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/mythtv.conf,
with contents:

<VirtualHost *:443>
	ServerName mythtv.glidos.net

	SSLEngine on
	SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/intranet.glidos.net/fullchain.pem
	SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/intranet.glidos.net/privkey.pem

<Proxy * >
	AuthType Digest
	AuthName "Glidos intranet"
	AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/digest
	Require valid-user
</Proxy>

	ProxyRequests off
	ProxyPass / http://localhost:6544/
	ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:6544/
</VirtualHost>

I also had to ensure that mod_proxy and mod_proxy_http were enabled,
plus add a DNS record for mythtv.glidos.net and expand my letsencrypt
certificate to include mythtv.glidos.net.

Annoyingly simple given it's taken a day of random tweaks to eventually
get there. :-)

Paul.