[mythtv-users] OT: Recommended Wi-Fi NIC for Linux

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jan 29 19:04:11 UTC 2024

On 29/01/2024 18:30, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 1/29/24 11:50 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> This is your problem:
>>
>> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting 0x0.
>>
>> Looks like you have out-of-date or incompatible microcode. I'd investigate there first.
>

> Ok, I'll admit that I'm a touch confused. What leads you to believe that the microcode is out of
> date?  The firmware load line in dmesg is:
>
> loaded firmware version 83.e8f84e98.0 ty-a0-gf-a0-83.ucode op_mode iwlmvm
>
> Isn't the firmware version a factor of the kernel being used?  In my case, 6.5.0.  And if so,
> wouldn't that imply that you don't just choose or change firmware versions unilaterally?
>

> The "Microcode SW error detected" is one example of Wi-Fi trouble in the system logs.  Other
> occasional signs of trouble include:
> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x707
> iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: WRT: Invalid buffer destination

"or confused." Just because the kernel loads a lump of binary code doesn't mean the contents
necessarily do what the API says they ought to. All I meant was that it looks like the microcode has
some bugs which need fixing. It depends on your distro whether they got the fixes or not - or even
if there are any fixes yet.

--

Mike Perkins