[mythtv-users] OT: Recommended Wi-Fi NIC for Linux

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 16:14:21 UTC 2024

Hi folks,

Since my reconfiguration of where my MythTV backend lives, it now
requires connectivity via Wi-Fi as opposed to a wired LAN.  The results
have been... disappointing.

Every couple of days I'll notice playback of a recording needing to
consistently rebuffer.  Logging into the MythTV box, I'll see NFS errors
(my recordings live on an NFS location), and I'll also see messages like:
iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0: Microcode SW error detected. Restarting 0x0.
Rebooting the MythTV box "fixes" the problem, but obviously that's not a
reasonable solution.

My current Wi-Fi NIC is an Intel AX210. Given the reliability of Intel
gigabit NICs, I figured this would be a safe bet.

I get that people *might* be able to put up with a tablet or a laptop
client where Wi-FI occasionally flakes out, and might even need a reboot
of the device.  But for a system that is essentially set up like a
server this seems... completely unacceptable?

This experience makes me wonder: is there an accepted, tried-and-true
Wi-Fi solution for Linux?  Ideally one that supports Wi-Fi 6E, since I
have that available.

Thanks
-WD