[mythtv-users] Problems with DB and apache2 after upgrade to ubuntu 22.04

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sun Jan 21 05:43:48 UTC 2024

> On Jan 21, 2024, at 03:57, John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not a regular ubuntu user but have just tried to upgrade an old box from 20.04 LTS to 22.0 4LTS
>
> Shortly before that I had upgraded from MythTV 33-fixes to Master from the ppa, and MythTV had seemed to work ok, both before and after.
>

> The graphical OS upgrade looked ok too, but during reboot it
>
> "Failed to start The Apache HTTP server" and
>
> "sudo systemctl status apache2" gives an AH00256 complaint about a
>
> "Syntax error on line 117 of /etc/apache2/ssites-enabled/mythweb.conf".
>
> I edited that line, and have now removed mythweb, but still see the same warning.
>
> So at present the deprecated mythtv-setup
>
> (actually "MYTHTV_NO_EGL=1 mythtv-setup.real -w" )
>
> isn't finding the DB, and the new web-based setupwizard isn't accessible.
>
> I'm wondering if I should perhaps remove and then reinstall all the mythtv packages - but hope someone has a less drastic suggestion?

John a few thoughts that would help an auld fart like moi:

Many bits of ubuntu do not suit me, but during trouble shooting (*) I did install lubuntu 22.04. I did not do an upgrade.
I built from src as per the wiki. Using apt-file makes spelunking for ‘something’ very easy.
From start install to a working mythtv was I guess 35 minutes.

After a week of learning methinks Peter et al's Backend browser on master is better than mythweb.

If you want to play there are tutorials for setting up LAMP, but you can just install mariadb.
One caution is that the tools DO NOT use localhost, so you absolutely need to change the bind address. I used 0.0.0.0 but concern that my wife will hack mythtv is zero.

What I find is that using a ppa and understanding what ‘they’ did is harder/more work than just doing it.

(*) troubleshooting ryzen cpu (but not intel) runnning lxqt (but not plasma). When nomachine connects to the server, when screensaver is active (display OFF) then ‘No Remote Display’ is found.

James