[mythtv-users] UK Freeview’s final decade? A timeline of events

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 22:56:14 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 2:57 PM Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:

> An interesting article for anyone in the UK about the future of Freeview :-
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/timeline-of-c ... ellite-tv/
>
> Also some early information about Freely the service starting later this year that is supposed to replace Freeview and Freesat :-
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/all-in-one-tv ... will-work/
>
> The confusing thing for me is this is obviously about the future of linear TV but it's been hard not to notice all the TV stations are pushing their own on demand services like crazy at the moment "Watch live tonight at 9 or any time for free on our on demand service". So what do they really want us to use Freely or their OD services? It would be nice if Freely could support both linear and OD TV in an all in one convenient app so we don't have to install and subscribe to many different services for OD but I suspect that's unlikely to happen

And it is all your fault (well, not you personally,
you are not that individually powerful, but you
and others, all contributed in various ways,
and primarily as the content consumers who
drove the changes).

VCRs, TiVos, and MythTV showed that a world
where you can watch what you want, when you
want, was desired.

With the advent of capable mobile devices,
adding in where you want, on the device you
want, continued the trend.

With the exception of "event" TV (which
includes breaking news and sports), the
concept of needing to schedule your life
around when a station decides to show
content you want to view is mostly gone
(I can't think of anything I watch live that
would not be considered breaking news).

Speaking of legacies, while there are still
"channel flippers", looking for something
that they want to watch, or can tolerate
watching, just to have something to watch
during their couch potato hours, that
demographic size is shrinking for time
limited reasons.

And now we are reaching another turning
point.  Each content provider wants to control
their own distribution platform (as that allows
them both the opportunity to promote their
own content, and the visibility into the
consumption of their content which can be
used to invest wisely, and to eliminate some
distributor costs, and, of course, to maximize
the monetization).  This, unfortunately,
means the annoyance of different solutions
for different sources of content (in theory
everyone could work together to provide a
common platform for insight and promotion,
but the last time the various groups tried to
agree on something like a common approach
the only thing they agreed to was to disagree).

I doubt the Sesame Street muppets ever
spelled "market fragmentation", but they,
themselves, are experiencing it (with first
run episodes on Max).