[mythtv-users] UK Freeview’s final decade? A timeline of events

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 15:27:17 UTC 2024

> On Jan 11, 2024, at 9:55 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at mythqml.net> wrote:
>
> An interesting article for anyone in the UK about the future of Freeview :-
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/timeline-of-c ... ellite-tv/ <https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/timeline-of-changes-to-freeview-and-satellite-tv/>
>
> Also some early information about Freely the service starting later this year that is supposed to replace Freeview and Freesat :-
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/all-in-one-tv ... will-work/ <https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/all-in-one-tv-how-freeview-replacement-freely-will-work/>
>
> The confusing thing for me is this is obviously about the future of linear TV but it's been hard not to notice all the TV stations are pushing their own on demand services like crazy at the moment "Watch live tonight at 9 or any time for free on our on demand service". So what do they really want us to use Freely or their OD services? It would be nice if Freely could support both linear and OD TV in an all in one convenient app so we don't have to install and subscribe to many different services for OD but I suspect that's unlikely to happen

In the US similar is happening. People are just not watching OTA as well as Cable TV.  The twitter/X user @TVGrimReaper has been documenting the decline of OTA and Cable, as well as no the minor streaming platforms such as  Paramount, WBDs (whatever it is named today.)  and the rest of them.

I’m also concerned that the ATSC 3 migration here in the US will also drag it down farther as will be wrapped in DRM. When ATSC 1.0 goes away, I will probably have to drop out of MythTV usage due to the drm requirements for ATSC 3.

Just rambling thoughts here.

Regards!