[mythtv-users] Are there any 4k themes for mythfrontend?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 12:35:41 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jan 1, 2024 at 4:29 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> Since I have been using MythTV with my new LG C3 48" 4K TV for the
> last couple of days, I have found an interesting problem.  The
> slightly modified version of the MythCenter-wide theme that I am using
> works OK at 3840x2160, but wastes a lot of usable space due to having
> huge text.  At 1920x1080 on my old 32" 1080p TV, the text size was
> good at my watching distance of 2.2 metres.  But now it is quite a bit
> larger than it needs to be, and if it could be made smaller a lot more
> data could be fitted on to the screen, such as many more recordings on
> the recordings list.  But I have been unable to find any themes that
> are designed for a 4K 3840x2160 screen size.  Does anyone know of any?
>
> It looks like it would be quite a difficult job to modify
> MythCenter-wide to work well at 4K, as virtually all the numbers in
> the theme files would need to be altered in the right proportions. How
> do theme designers do this sort of thing - is it just by tediously
> going through all the files and manually making the changes and
> testing them?
>
> I also found that I had to alter the XFCE4 desktop settings to make
> the desktop and terminals readable at that distance.  First I changed
> the DPI setting to 200x200 in xorg.conf, so this is what I am using
> now:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Nvidia GT1030"
>         Driver          "nvidia"
>         Option          "DPI"           "200x200"
>         Option          "NoLogo"        "True"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier  "LG C3"
>     ModelName   "LG Electronics LG TV SSCR2"
>     DisplaySize 1050 590
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         Monitor         "LG C3"
>         Device          "Nvidia GT1030"
> EndSection
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>         Option "BlankTime"              "0"
>         Option "StandbyTime"    "0"
>         Option "SuspendTime"    "0"
>         Option "OffTime"                "0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Extensions"
>         Option "Composite"      "Disable"
> EndSection
>
> # For some reason X is unable to find the Nvidia drivers, so manual
> paths
> # are required.
> Section "Files"
>     ModulePath "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nvidia/xorg/"
>     ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
> EndSection
>
> Then I also had to go to XFCE menu > Settings > Appearance > Fonts >
> DPI and set a "Custom DPI setting" value of 200.
>
> And on startup I am running this command:
>
> xset s on
>
> which turns on the builtin X screensaver with its default timeout of
> 600 seconds.  This screensaver will turn off the screen output if
> [...]
I use the Functionality 31.2 theme on most of my PCs that run
mythfrontend.  In particular on my Den PC which displays on a 65" Sony UHD
4K TV, my face is 15ft from the screen. The Functionality theme has 4 hours
and 14 channels on one screen.

The distance makes the normal non mythfrontend text too small so I use a
3840x2160 screen resolution but with a 200% scale factor on the Display
setup of Cinnamon DE.  I'm using LMDE 6 Faye at the moment and it's still
X11, but I don't modify Xorg.conf.

However, since I change distros on this PC as much as I change my
underwear, I might be running Endeavour OS by tomorrow and that is Plasma
KDE.  I use the same resolution and scale factor, but since Plasma is now
Wayland I have to launch mythfrontend with:

mythfrontend --platform xcb

If I don't I get a 1/4 screen display for mythfrontend.

Jim A