[mythtv-users] Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 20:40:37 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 8:24 PM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:

> So is this problem with Atom 64 bit CPUs a linux kernel based thing, or just a RedHat/Flavors issue?
>
> I use some of these Z8350 based 4 core machines, and would be disappointed if it was a linux kernel issue.

You are free to build your own kernel with your
own build flags.  All the commercial enterprise
distros either have, or are looking at, building
their kernels with micro architecture flags of
-v2 or -v3 for performance reasons, which
appeal to their customers (RH requires -v2 for
EL9, and is reportedly looking at -v3 for EL10;
Ubuntu is reportedly looking at -v3 for their
enterprise distro; Suse is reportedly looking
at -v3 with their next gen ALP).  Consumer
targeted distros tend to still target -v1 for
maximum flexibility, although every year or
so someone again suggests it is time to
move up a microarchitecture level because
they want to improved performance for
their particular system.