[mythtv-users] optimize_mythdb.pl on Debian via deb-multimedia

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 20:32:02 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 1:54 PM Roland Ernst <rcrernst at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 12:30 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 5:57 PM Mike Perkins <
>> mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

>>> GID
>>> >
>>> Which is why I always create the mythtv user with a known UID and GID
>>> (i) after doing a fresh
>>> install and (ii) before I install any mythtv packages. It means I have
>>> the same values on all
>>> backends and frontends. That also means I get a $HOME directory in /home
>>> rather than down the /lib tree.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Mike Perkins
>>>

>> I like your idea, but I ran into a problem that it brings up at least on
>> a Debian 12 install of mythtv using deb-mulitmedia.org
>>
>> If you install mythtv using DMO, you will get an install that puts the
>> user mythtv's home in /var/lib/mythtv/. And you get a random password for
>> mythconverg.
>>
>> This works and the web app immediately comes up with good indicators on
>> the database and you can move on.
>>
>>  However, if you create your mythtv user ahead of time and make its home
>> /home/mythtv/ then the Web App seems to fail when you test the database.
>>
>> The main screen of Web App shows 'mythtv' as the password, but it creates
>> a random one and puts that in /etc/mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> Once I knew this I could copy the config.xml password and paste it into
>> the web app and restart the backend and things proceed.
>>
>> This was not easy to find and could lead a newbie upset with the web app.
>>
>> Not sure if this happens on all distros, but it happens on Debian with
>> mythtv from DMO
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> What happens if you create a symlink from '/home/mythtv/.mythtv' to
> '/var/lib/mythtv' ?
>
> Roland

I don't think the home directory is the problem.  The system uses
/etc/mythtv/config.xml as far as I know.

I have done tests with default user setup and mythtv created first. With
home at /var/lib/mythtv and /home/mythtv.

It's just odd that creating the user first causes the Web App to stuff
'mythtv' as the database password instead of what it puts in the official
/etc/mythtv/config.xml file

JIm A