[mythtv-users] Distro for x86-64-v1 CPUs

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 17:11:01 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 2:08 PM Dan Wilga <mythtv-users at dwilga.info> wrote:

> I tried searching for confirmation that modern Ubuntu will run on this
> CPU, but couldn't find any. It sounds like Debian should work. OpenSUSE
> and Gentoo are confirmed to work with it. Any other distros I'm forgetting?

Should you wish to remain in the EL environment,
CentOS 8 would work, but it will end updates at
about the same time as CentOS 7, so I would
not recommend it.  However you can get a free
developer license for RHEL 8 and use that
(support until mid-2029), or both Rocky 8 and
AlmaLinux 8 (CentOS 8 derivatives) have stated
their intention to continue to port fixes until the
official RHEL 8 end of support.

However, EL8 variants are also showing their
age as far as supporting newer versions of
supporting packages, but I expect it to work
adequately for MythTV for at least a few more
years until the project needs something
substantially newer in some future version.
(The MythTV project has a buildbot-worker
running builds on CentOS 8, so it is known
to work today, and when something breaks
due to some newer package requirement
it will be seen).