[mythtv-users] warning/error while installing mythtv-light v34 on Raspberry PI OS

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 00:56:49 UTC 2024

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM Martin Bene <Martin.Bene at icomedias.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>

>    - The code works on my RPI4 4GB as well as it normally does, which is
>    not acceptable to me. But I wanted to get at least one version of fixes/34
>    posted for those who could not build it themselves.
>

> Could you recap what makes fixes/34 not acceptable on your raspi?
>
> My experience on current RaspiOs Bookworm
>

> Pi5:
>
>    - X11
>    - Remove /etc/xdg/autostart/xcompmgr.desktop
>

> Pi4:
>
>    - Even without xcompmgr, I still get tearing in X11 so
>    - Wayland only works reasonably with the color space patch from
>    https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/855; without that mythtv uses
>    an RGB 6:5:6 (16 bit) Surface with terrible color reproduction and very
>    visible banding
>    - Hiding Mouse cursor requires wayfire plugin hide-cursor from
>    https://github.com/WayfireWM/wayfire-plugins-extra
>    - Unresolved: Can’t get wakeup from DPMS to work when using a lirc
>    based remote
>

> Except for the wakeup from screen blanking issue, I find no issues with
> playback up to and including h.264 1080p50 (I haven’t tried 1080p60)
>

> Bye, Martin
>
> no.disclaimer

When I worked, I spent too much time trying to help customers get our low
powered CPU and GFX to provide the video they needed/wanted.  So I looked
at a lot of crappy video performance and became overly sensitive to jittery
video, frame rate problems, lip-sync issues, etc, etc.

 I've wasted too much time trying to get the RPI 4 to run mythfrontend to
my satisfaction. It's not too far off, but since I have a FireTV 4K on
every TV I own, I use that because the FireTV 4K is far superior to the RPI
4 in every way.  mythfrontend is pretty good on the FireTV 4K and Leanfront
is perfect.  Leanfront has a better picture than I can get on my Intel NUC
1165G7. Also the FireTV 4K Max I use on both our UHD 4K TV takes the
1080i/720P MPEG2 HD over the air programs and improves them a lot.  The RPI
4 can't do that.

So I'm not wasting any more money on RPI 4/5 for Mythtv projects.  Maybe
for a remote backend for my FireTVs.  But since I like commercial flagging,
you need more than a raspberry PI.

JIm A