[mythtv-users] connecting to database failing

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Feb 18 22:05:30 UTC 2024

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:51:53 -0500, you wrote:

>I'll never understand the need for all the different config.xml files but I
>just copied /etc/mythtv/config.xml to /home/jim/.mythtv/config.xml and it's
>now working. I had previously just deleted the "jim" version in hope it
>would be created by the mythfrontend scan and setup process.  I was wrong.

The need for a separate config.xml for mythfrontend comes from having
your frontend connect to multiple different backends.  On my network
there are two different main backends (mine and my mother's), plus a
test backend that is normally not running and another backend on my
laptop.  The laptop can be used with its own backend (and recordings
on external drives put there using mythexport/mythimport from the
other backends).  But if it is away from home but on a good enough
Internet connection, it gets connected directly to one of the main
home backends over an OpenVPN connection.  So it has three different
config.xml files for its mythfrontend.