[mythtv-users] jittery playback on latest v34 (master) on Intel 11th gen Core i7 NUC.

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:28:09 UTC 2024

> On Feb 4, 2024, at 3:54 PM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Feb 4, 2024 at 11:08 AM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com <mailto:jharbestonus at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>> > On Feb 4, 2024, at 9:06 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't normally use a PC as a frontend.  However, today I was on my NUC which is running Linux Mint Debian Edition 6. I'm using the mythfrontend on V34 Master that I built the packages for this morning following the Wiki.  The NUC PC is an Asrock NUC 1165G7 which uses an Intel 11th gen Core i7 CPU.
>> >
>> > I noticed a lot of jitters playing a recording that was 1080i ATSC 1.0 MPEG2. I tried both Opengl High quality and VAAPI with the normal settings I've used in the past. Too jumpy a picture to watch this way. I originally viewed the recording using Leanfront on a FireTV 4K Max.
>>
>> When it was jumpy, did you try using the menu->playback -> info to see what decoder was being used, and the load on the cpu?
>>
>> I suspicion that for whatever reason the accelerated video method isn’t getting used. Or the settings for de-interlacing are wrong somehow.
>>

>> Regards!
>>

> Thanks, I have more data, but first to your questions.
>
> When in OpenGL High Quality, the playback data shows the Codec/dec as MPEG2 ffmpeg with Deint as 2x GLSL Kernel
> when in VAAPI either Decode only or normal, Codec/dec is MPEG-2 VAAPI-dec with deint as 2x VAAPI compensated.
>
> Same jitter in both.
>
> So I went looking for issues with the system in general. vlc has the same jitter playing the file. Kodi is cleaner but not as good as my FireTV 4K with leanfront.
>
> I've been running LDME6 in default X11 mode on a 4K UHD display in 4K with a 200% scaling factor.  That works well except for mythtvfrontend and gives me the option to play 4K content when available outside of mythtv recordings which are only HD.
>
> If I change the resolution to 1920x1080, it picks 120Hz and that works well and mythfrontend is better on OpenGL.
>
> vlc is now better matching mythfrontend quality.  Same as Kodi now. All of these are usable.
>
> So maybe the scaling is the problem. Maybe X11 or Cinnamon DE with 200% scaling is a little past the limits of my NUC?
>
> Since my normal viewing of mythtv recordings on this UHD TV is with a FireTV 4K Max and Leanfront app, this mythfrontend on the NUC issue is not a huge problem. More of a curiosity. Not sure I really need the PC in 4K mode since I sit >10ft from the screen. So I'll try switching to 1080P resolution instead of 200% scaling of the default UHD resolution.
>
> I tested this on an AMD desktop with a 8 core Ryzen with builtin gfx and that had no issues, but it's a faster CPU and good gfx and the monitors are only 1080p.

The machines that I have been using are able to display on a 4k monitor/TV however, I have not had good success with full screen tv from mythtv when using 4k upscaling. I have always dropped the tv back to 1080p mode 60hz and have had good luck with them then. All the content I have is either BluRay 1080p, or standard atsc resolutions so running the tv in 4k doesn’t matter  as far as the display. The machines I use have been either intel N95/N100 or N5095/N5195 machines, and playback using VAAPI/VAAPI2 profile on all of them.

I see you have been ’toying’ with the ATSC 3 in the past. Has there been any 4K content on ATSC3 in your area? Are you able to record from ATSC3 using mythtv either 1080p/I or 4k?

Regards!