[mythtv-users] Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 / MythTV 32 - MythWeb search now abysmally slow

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 15:30:58 UTC 2023

On 9/29/23 10:37 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 11:49 AM Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not exactly sure why upgrading mysql versions (as part of the
>> Ubuntu 22.04 upgrade) would have affected anything related to
>> database optimization.  But it's back to normal now!
>
> Did you upgrade your database instance (and, of course, ran
> mysql_upgrade), or restore from a backup?

My MySQL was upgraded as the result of the Ubuntu do-release-upgrade OS
update process.

Regarding mysql_upgrade, it seems that this is deprecated:

> The mysql_upgrade client is now deprecated. The actions executed by
> the upgrade client are now done by the server. To upgrade, please
> start the new MySQL binary with the older data directory. Repairing
> user tables is done automatically. Restart is not required after
> upgrade. The upgrade process automatically starts on running a new
> MySQL binary with an older data directory. To avoid accidental
> upgrades, please use the --upgrade=NONE option with the MySQL binary.
> The option --upgrade=FORCE is also provided to run the server upgrade
> sequence on demand. It may be possible that the server upgrade fails
> due to a number of reasons. In that case, the upgrade sequence will
> run again during the next MySQL server start. If the server upgrade
> fails repeatedly, the server can be started with the
> --upgrade=MINIMAL option to start the server without executing the
> upgrade sequence, thus allowing users to manually rectify the
> problem.

Which seems to imply that database upgrades happen automatically when
the server starts after being upgraded?

Which it seems that it did not?  Or, as it was suggested elsewhere,
perhaps my symptoms were seen due to broken indexes?  Which may not be
directly caused by the upgrade?

I'll just say as a mere mortal just doing an Ubuntu OS upgrade, I was
quite surprised that MySQL performance completely tanked after doing it.

-WD