[mythtv-users] reconfigure to single FE/BE with Json

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Sep 26 14:19:08 UTC 2023

On Tue, 26 Sep 2023 08:43:47 -0400, you wrote:

>With both backends running the db drop, create, and restore went ahead
>fine, then when the RPi is shutdown the Lenovo can't connect to the
>database. With only the Lenovo running the restore (etal) fails because it
>can"t connect to the database. Is there a way to move the database from the
>RPi to the Lenovo? The wiki at  "
>https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration" seems not to apply because
>this would be retiring a master and promoting a slave to master,rather than
>bringing a database from an unrelated system.
>
>Maybe just this bit below? : (storage directories are setup on both boxes
>and recordings are prioritized to occur on the Lenovo)
>
> mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e "UPDATE recorded SET hostname =
>'new_daryl' WHERE hostname = 'old_trieli';"

Once you restore the database and change its hostname settings, you
probably need to alter the IP addresses for the backend and database
location that are stored in the database.  Run mythtv-setup and see if
the addresses are still set to point to the old backend.  And the
frontends will need their config.xml files changed to connect to the
correct backend.

The hostname in the recorded table just tells you where the recording
was made, not where it is now able to be found.  If the recording file
can be found in any storage group on the current backend (or its
slaves), then it can be played regardless of the hostname value.  I
have recordings on my main MythTV box made on my backup box and my
mother's MythTV box, with those hostnames.  They were copied to my
main MythTV box using mythexport/mythimport and they play just fine.