[mythtv-users] Queued Job Stuck – Again

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Sep 1 17:06:43 UTC 2023

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:54:10 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Folks!
>

>I have a different queued job stuck. Tried the instructions given
>previous (see Subject of “Queued Job Stuck” ~Aug. 17^th ). The problem
>this time is the PID number is incrementing!
>

>barry at BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag
>
>Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT
>
>barry 1024881 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag
>
>barry at BE4:~$ date && ps -ef | grep mythcommflag
>
>Fri 01 Sep 2023 11:44:28 AM CDT
>
>barry 1024884 1024862 0 11:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto mythcommflag
>

>Got that by repeating the command in less than a second and the PID
>incremented by three (sometimes only by two).
>

>So the problem is I can’t enter a PID to kill because what I see is no
>longer valid. Noted the PPID is constant – tempting! <g>
>

>There are shows currently recording – is that the reason?
>

>TIA! Barry

You are only seeing the grep command that is looking for mythcommflag
jobs.  There are no actual mythcommflag jobs shown.  The text
"mythcommflag" is matching to the parameter "mythcommflg" on the grep
command, so it is matching to itself.  That grep command will have
completed before you get the command prompt back again.  The PID is a
newly assigned PID every time you run the grep command, so it will be
one more than the previous PID, and sometimes more than that if other
programs have run in the background and been assigned a PID before you
run the grep again.  The PPID is the parent PID - so if you kill that,
you will kill the terminal session you are running the commands from.